Bobby Norfolk - African-American Storyteller
Bobby Norfolk is a three time Emmy award winning African-American storyteller and author from St. Louis who specializes in family entertainment, and educational programs. He also does public programs at festivals, libraries, museums, theaters, colleges and private and public schools. He travels nationally and internationally offering storytelling performances, living history programs, workshops, and keynotes for all ages.
His multi-cultural shows feature program themes such as character education, Black Studies, cultural diversity, Black History topics, history, literacy & reading, nature and animals, holiday stories, Young Authors, Black History Month, summer and camp themes, conflict resolution, Anansi the Spider stories, Br'er rabbit, ghost and Halloween tales, musical shows, African, Caribbean, and African-American tales. Download a flyer!
Educational and Community Programs
Themes of respect, responsibility, cooperation, honesty and self esteem are found in each story.
- Straight Talk
- Bobby uses story, poetry and raps to teach valuable lessons in a show geared for older students that
promotes conflict resolution and making the right choices. (more...)
- Anansi the Spider
- Black History Month comes alive with African stories that instill wisdom and good choices through story. (more...)
- Back to the Books
- Librarians and parents love this program! It focuses on reading and literacy, and promotes creativity and imagination.
Br'er Rabbit tales are featured too. (more...)
- Rap, Poetry and Prose!
- If you like poetry and rap, Bobby turns classics like"Little Red Riding Hood" and "The Party" by Paul Laurence Dunbar into progressive raps that are great
- Black History Month & MLK
- Bobby honors the birthday of Martin Luther King in January and Black History Month in February by offering a variety of African American Programs that includes Living History, Music, Theater and Storytelling. Programs can be adapted for both children and adults.
History comes to life through living history shows that Bobby has written and created.
- George Washington Carver: Scientist, Educator & Humanitarian
- In this story-theatre presentation, written with the help of the staff at the George Washington Carver National Monument, Bobby brings to life some of the highlights of this humble man's fascinating life. It's appropriate for audiences aged 8 and up, and supports the Science, Social Studies & Character Education curriculums. Download a flyer! (more...)
- Shadowball: the Negro Baseball Leagues
- Bobby's latest one man theatrical perormance takes us on a fascinating journey through the heyday of the Negro Baseball Leagues. In this riveting show, Boby tell passionate, humourous and often unblievable stories from this important, but sometimes forgotten era. Enhanced with period music and images, this show is ideal for high school, college and adult/community venues. (more...)
- The Harlem Renaissance
- This show brings to life Harlem, New York and the poetry, song and prose of the African-American community in the early 1900's.
Legends include Ellington, Langston Hughes and Zora Neal Hurston. (more...)
- The Eyes of York
- Bobby brings to life the adventures of the only African-American on Lewis & Clark's famous trip across America, William Clark's slave York. (more...)
- This Side Up
- Stories of the Underground Railroad are brought to life, including the popular story of Henry Box Brown's famous escape from slavery! (more...)
- In the Shadow of Lincoln
- Bobby brings to vivid life The Civil War and the Lincoln legacy by portraying a freed slave named Elias Jacob. Through narratives, poetry and song, Bobby highlights this extraordinary time in history. (more...)
These programs feature Bobby and a live musician who enhances the storytelling experience.
- Scott Joplin, The Ragtime King
- Bobby and a pianist bring to life the American legend. Features Joplin's favorites,
his life story and audience participation with the cake walk dance. (more...)
- Drums and Music of Africa
- Bobby brings to life traditional African stories, dance and song with this perennial favorite for all ages! (more...)
- Swingin' with Duke Ellington
- Bobby explores the life of one of America's most prolific and versatile composes.
This program includes live music on the piano. (more...)
Workshops & Keynotes
Children and/or adults experience hands-on training with a master storyteller/educator.
- Hidden Heroes: Overcoming Adversity
- Can be either a keynote or workshop about Bobby's childhood in a rough neighborhood. He tells how role models helped him overcome adversity through theatre and storytelling. Bobby also offers creative
techniques for parents and educators to help students reach their full potential. (more...)
- Compelling Characters: Enriching Your Stories
- Bobby teaches storytelling techniques and tools for interpersonal communication. Students receive practical skills for improving their public speaking and acting skills. Workshop can be geared toward African-American themes and characters. Can be adapted for all ages! (more...)